May half term holiday is almost upon us (eek!) and if you’re looking for ideas of things to do locally, there is a lot on in and around Exeter. I’ve rounded up some of the activities for you, you can find the full details of each event in the title links.
One off events:
1. Exeter University Concert Band’s Concert, 27th May, 1pm on Exeter Quay – Live music on the Exe. Playing their favourite pieces from the past year along with some familiar tunes to brighten up your Bank Holiday weekend. Music from: Guardians of the Galaxy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Phantom of the Opera and much more (Admission is free).
2. Fun Kitchen Cookery School, Tuesday 30th May at Exeter Cathedral School –Interactive workshop for children to have fun creating feel-good food, bakes and yummy treats. Children will learn to cook up a selection of scrumptious treats and mouth-watering dishes. (For children aged 8 to 14 years old. Book online or call 0845 539 0953).
3.The Wonderful World of Seaweed, Wed 31st May at RAMM – Experts from Devon Wildlife Trust, will help you classify and identify local live seaweeds. Consider seaweed through time and its use in food, beauty products, heart surgery, dentistry and… t-shirt making! Take part in The Seaweed Supermarket Challenge and a seaweed jelly activity. (Suitable for 5yrs+. 10.30am to 12.30pm and 1.30 to 3.30pm. Drop-in. Tickets £2.50 per child, adults free, from RAMM garden reception)
4. Get Active in Princesshay, 31st May in Exeter City Centre – A day of activities including yoga, dance, roller derby, ping pong and more, to inform families about the active and healthy lifestyle activities on offer across Exeter. Plus, a family yoga taster at 2.30pm in Princesshay Square. (10am to 4pm)
5. The Good the Bad and the Slimy, Thurs 1st June at RAMM
Meet the experts from the Marine Biological Association. Touch, smell and examine seaweed and its slime! Find out about seaweed’s many uses, from food, medicine and make-up to a potential future fuel. Take part in an experiment involving ‘gelatinous alginate’ and taste edible seaweed (Suitable for 5yrs+. 10.30am to 12.30pm and 1.30 to 3.30pm. Drop-in. Tickets £2.50 per child, adults free, from RAMM garden reception).
6. 30 Days Wild Family Fun Day, Thurs 1st June at Mincinglake Valley Park – Join Devon Wildlife Trust to kick off 30 Days Wild at Mincinglake Valley Park. Why not take up the challenge of doing something wild for 30 days. Expect a variety of fun activities, crafts, and walks in one of Exeter’s lushest parks. (Free, from 10am to 3pm)
7. Curious Coastal Creatures, Friday 2 Jun at RAMM – Meet the experts from the North Devon Coast ANOB. Visit the science lab and learn how to identify specimens using microscopes and identification keys. Who can identify the most creatures or find the most unusual? Which creature do you find the most interesting? (Suitable for 5yrs+. 10.30am to 12.30pm and 1.30 to 3.30pm. Drop-in. Tickets £2.50 per child, adults free, from RAMM garden reception)
8. Paddle out loud, 3rd June on The Quay – Fancy-dress charity paddle raising money for surf therapy charity, the Wave Project. You can paddle on anything that floats (as long as it’s safe) and the dress code is LOUD! Don’t worry it’s not a race, you can paddle at your own pace, the most important thing is having fun! (Free to watch, see website for full details)
9. 3rd-4th June: Exeter Respect Festival, Belmont Park, Exeter – Free summer festival in the park celebrating Exeter’s cultural diversity. With live music, wild crafts, face painting, arts and craft activities and lots more. We are really looking forward to this event!
Activities that are on all week:
10. Pirates and Mermaids, 28th May-2nd June at Powderham Castle – Set sail to see if you can catch a mermaid! Themed sessions involving Captain Jack and his Pocketwatch crew, we went along at Easter and had a great time. (Sessions run for approximately 45 to 60 minutes and are aimed for children between 5 -11 years, see site for details).
11. Pirate Week at Crealy, 27th May-4th June at Crealy Adventure Park and Resort – Take a ride on The Flying Dutchman, enjoy the all-new live pirate show, and meet Captain Crealy. Plus, there will be a fancy-dress competition with a chance to win some fantastic pirate themed prizes. (Normal admission prices apply… Tip: It is cheaper to buy your ticket online in advance)
12. Exmouth Festival, 26th May-3rd June all over Exmouth, EX8 – Exmouth Festival is great fun for all the family, it takes place at a number of venues in the town, but its hub is at the Imperial Recreation Ground. Includes theatre performances, workshops, live music and children’s activities (Don’t miss event)
13. There are lots of extra activities at RAMM including – Sea Life: Glimpses of the Wonderful Exhibition, Marine and Mollusc Tours, Explore Roman Devon, Little Explorers, Life on the Ocean Floor, Beachcombing Handling Sessions, Ancient Egyptian Activities (Head to their website to plan your visit).
Let us know where you decide to go and if you want to go further afield here are some handy guides by my blogger pals:
Organised Jo’s, 13 May Half Term Activities in South Devon
Flip Flops or wellies: What’s On Events, May Half Term 2017 Devon, Dorset & Somerset